Friday, July 18, 2008

Thing # 18

My daughter bought a small computer and it has only a home version of Microsoft products. She had trouble composing papers in a very minimal word pad application. When she sent me documents as attachments, I could not always read them. OpenOffice immediately eliminated that problem and gave her a quality product. I can see that students with computers at home would be able to use this product or Google docs to have access to good programs that will make them proud of their finished products. When I tried to download it to my school laptop I got a message saying I did not have administrative rights and the install wizard couldn't complete the download. I'll try again and see what the deal is. I wasn't logged in to SBVPN and maybe that will make a difference. I'll also go read other blog posts to see if anyone else encountered this problem.
Google docs is great if you want access to documents from any computer. You can also invite people to share the work you have made. Students could complete their assigned writing or research activities and then share with the class and teacher. They have the beginnings of good templates for a variety of purposes and look to be getting stronger all the time.

2 comments:

VWB said...

Open cis already on your school computer! It was part of the district load set. Click on Start...you should see it at the top of the box?

and when you want to download things to your school computer, remember there is a special sign on you must use. and remember to get out of that sign on before oyu do work or you won't be able to see it when you sign on again!

VWB said...

have no idea what happen...crazy keyboard jumping I guess..

I typed: Open Office is already on your school computer...etc!