Saturday, July 12, 2008

Thing # 16

I often use Wikipedia for a quick source because it seems there is an article about just about any topic imaginable. I also know that the information is not always reliable, so I just use it as a starting point. I think a wiki set up around a common topic that kids can contribute to is a great thing, but if it is editable by the general public, it is open to misuse. A wiki would have to have a log in requirement for a specific group in order to prevent malicious editing. I went onto the sandbox portion of the Spring Branch Library Future wiki and made a comment about how useful I think this class has been, and how this format can be a model to teachers who are trying to develop technology components to enhance their classroom. Developing purposeful, self-paced lessons that can be shared with and commented on by the others in the group will be extremely motivational to today's students. I am impressed at the forward thinking of the library department of our district.

1 comment:

VWB said...

When you create a wiki for your class, you can control who has editing rights when you set up your preferences. you can set up a password to give to anyone you want.