Sunday, June 15, 2008

Thing #6


I've had a lot of fun exploring these sites. There are so many things that can be done so easily. One site I had a lot of fun with is in the Bigbluelab at fd's Flickr Toys. I played with the magazine cover maker and could see a use for it in my history class. Students could use iconic images from various time periods in U.S. History as the backdrop for creating their own magazine covers "of the day." It actually was not as easy as it looked as far as coming up with good, clever tag lines and attention getter phrases that would let the reader know what to expect inside the cover. Students would be able to incorporate knowledge of specific events with overarching concepts and issues. They would also be able to add in information related to events happening in other parts of the world at the same time.

Remember that old TV series, Just Shoot Me, where every new episode focused on a different part of the magazine cover? It was a lead it to the next segment of the show. That's what I felt like when I wa mking my own feeble attempt at a cover. It was fun and challenging at the same time.

1 comment:

Grendel said...

I enjoyed your post very much. I really like the magazine cover. You have really thought a lot about what you are learning. vI am impressed!