Saturday, August 30, 2008

high school and beyond

Okay, as much as I think this is a good idea, I don't seem to take the time to post daily blogs so I don't know how successful I'll be at this. I have spent the past week visiting with teachers and helping them with ideas for developing their social studies lessons in ways that engage students and include opportunities for students to interact with the information using reading, speaking, writing, and drawing activities that will also help build overall literacy. It is a focus in our district to establish withing students the desire to peruse post secondary education venues, whether it be a traditional 4 year college, a community college, or some some of training program that will give them an advantage in the workplace. To that end, most of the middle schools I have been to have begun to display banners from various colleges and having teachers talk about their college experiences during the "getting to know you" period of back to school activities. I'm wondering what other schools do to help build the expectations in students that they will not only graduate from high school, but continue on to some institution of higher learning .

No comments: